Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Google Friend Connect

So there seems to be a firestorm of panic going on in the blog world about Friend Connect Closing. I hate to break the news to everyone it isn't as bad as it sounds.

First I researched the Google site and here's what I found.


  • Google Friend Connect—Friend Connect allows webmasters to add social features to their sites by embedding a few snippets of code. We're retiring the service for all non-Blogger sites on March 1, 2012. We encourage affected sites to create a Google+ page and place a Google+ badge on their site so they can bring their community of followers to Google+ and use new features like Circles and Hangouts to keep in touch.

OK did you read that correctly? It happened a year ago!

Second I called Google to see if there was anything new regarding this. Unfortunately Google is not good at customer support. All they could tell me was to go to the website that there was no one who handles Blogger/Blogspot other than online. Well we all know that's bull. There has to be someone behind the scenes handling this and they COULD talk to us if they wanted to. I wasn't impressed. What that means however is that nothing has changed since March of 2012. If you use blogger or blogspot your friend connect still works. Does that mean you shouldn't prepare by adding other means of contact? Absolutely not. If you feel you would get better results add Blogloving or Networkedblogs.

As for me, I'm going to leave friend connect as is for now but I'm going to add Networkedblogs. Why? Because I'm going to ask those that are truly followers to sign up there. That way I can weed out those that came over only because of candy and I'll know who to visit. I already use Networkedblogs for other peoples blogs anyway so it's a convenient quick add for me.

In summary, don't panic, nothing is really affecting you unless you don't use a google blog.

***Please Click on NETWORKEDBLOGS in the side bar if you are a true follower of mine. There's an incentive if you do!***

I'll email you the incentive after you sign up. Hope this is informative for you.

Love ya,
~Deb~

8 comments:

  1. Hi Deb! The big panic is about Google READER closing with July this year, the easy and for now best way to read the blogs you follow. I for my part am still with Friend Connect and don't sign up for another "connect" thingie for now :) this only to let you know that "true followers" might still use other connect-possibilities out there.
    have a wonderful day
    Beate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beate for clarifying that. I don't use reader anyway so I guess it doesn't affect me. affect me. Goodle does have a lot of issues it seems and I've debated moving away from them but for now, it's easy and free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info Deb. I am your first follower in networked blogs:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use google reader all the time and have checked out blog lovin too it's not to bad but I don't use network blog (it's a facebook app)But I already follow you thru email :) so I don't miss your posts hugs Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info Deb. But sadly, I was using Google Reader too much for following blogs and now I'm trying to find an alternative!! Tried Bloglovin.. but not very much satisfied as I was too much used to the Google way :) I'll try Networked blog also.. And am your follower through Networked Blog as well.

    -Berina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that Deb :-) I don't do Facebook so I am not putting anyone on Networking. I have tried soooo hard to get rid of my FB account.. it's just full of crap that I don't want to see, but it appears once you have FB you can never get rid of it :-( xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate FB too Ike, but it's not going anywhere so right now it's the smartest alternative I think. It's OK if you don't join though I know who you are!!! :)

      Delete
  7. Ok sweety,I'm on your networked blogs^_^
    I don't understand how can I added the blogs I want to follow,can you explain me please?
    Hugs,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me your words of encouragement. Please do not leave negative comments, this is a happy place!